Translate

Saturday 21 July 2012

11 the funeral


I hear the door to my room opening up with a creek. In a few seconds he was right next to me. I open my eyes slowly, like lifting a heavy rock. I don’t want to but I have to.
-Why haven’t you been answering my calls?!
-What day is it today?
-Saturday. Why haven’t you been answering my calls?! I think I called you about 10 times in the last 2 days.
-When did you get back?
-Just 10 minutes ago. Did you hear me?!
I didn’t want to answer him, but I had to. Like lifting a heavy rock you have to get out of the way.
-Sorry. I kept missing your calls and didn’t have any credit. I didn’t mean to worry you.
-I thought you fucked off or something happened.
I fake a smile. I’m pretty sure the effort that took killed a good part of me. Or at least felt like it did.
-Don’t worry. I’m not going anywhere until you kick me out.
-Good.
He paused a bit looking around the room and then he added:
-You need to clean this place up.
-I will. I knew that would make him happy so I was planning on doing it.
-Nicola told me you were acting pretty odd last night.
-Really?
-Yeah. You would say random stuff in the middle of the conversation or just burst out laughing.
-Oh. I was just joking around.
I wanted to add that everything is pretty funny when you’re sedated but I decided to keep that to myself and instead I added
-Plus you know her. She’s pretty odd.
-Yeah. We’ll I’m off to work in about an hour. Now that you’re awake anyway…you want to have coffee with me?!
I wish I wasn’t awake, but I was. I was I was still sedated but I wasn’t. I wish he wouldn’t know me so well.
-Yeah. Coffee sounds great. I’ll be down in a bit.
He smiled, got up and walked towards the door. Just before he went out he turned back to the bed and asked:
-Did anything happen while I was away?
I held back all the memories that wanted to burst out and overlap reality sticking them  back into the darkness of my mind. I held back my tears and paused for a bit before answering him.
-No. Life went on as usual.
-Good!
He smiles again and walks out. Left alone, awake, sober I hold back the tears and try to ignore the complete loneliness that covered me. I’m pretty sure the effort that took killed a part of me. It didn’t just feel like it.


-So what did you do in the past few days?
Fresh coffee was waiting for me as I walked into the living room and so was that question.
-You're the one that went home to have fun. I should be asking you!
-It was alright yeah. Went out with friends....
-Nice quality time with the family?
-Yeah.
-Standard good times?
-Pretty much.
-I missed you, you know?! And a part of me wished I was lieing, but I wasn't.
-Awww. Romania! Well I'm back now.
-Treating me like I'm retarded again.
-Well you're not exactly an English oral are you?!
-No. I'm an Eastern European Oral!

After he left I went down to the sea and attended my brother's funeral.


No comments: