Translate

Sunday 22 July 2012

13 the girls

As I put the phone down I realise I had no chance of going back to my reading. It's like trying to go back to sleep after someone woke you up giving you bad news.
As usual in the past three days, Veronica was there.
-So now you can't even talk to your own brother?!
-Oh please don't start!
-He's the only family we've got left!
-Will you please just shut up! Shut up for a goddamn second and stop making such a fucking drama out of everything?!
And she remained quiet for a while, pouting, fidgeting, uncomfortably lighting up a cigarette and loudly puffing out the smoke.
I put my knees to my chest and lid up a fag as I glanced outside into the pale white sunlight.
-It's not that we can't talk to him anymore. Just not now. I'm not ready to talk to him now.
-But you hesitated.
- No. You hesitated! That doesn't mean shit! ...Now please lets just stop talking about it.
-You want to talk about something less painful?
-I guess.
-But it's gonna be more uncomfortable.
-No shit?! Did you ever just take a break Ver?! Not think about all this crap?! Just let your mind wonder off?!
-Clearly you're not a writer.
-Clearly I'm not.
That's just about the time Sofia showed up. Without a noise, just like the ghost of her own phantomatic presence. As usual she gave Veronica a stern look. As usual, Veronica smirked with half her mouth, killed her fag in the ashtray, and got up with a pout fucking off God knows where. Probably on the shore.
-Sorry she's giving you a hard time, said Sophia while sitting down on the king chair with a proper posture and a proper position. She's just as hurt as you are you know.
-Sophia, why are you back?
-Believe it or not, you summoned us.
-How? Why even?!
-To answer your first question, I don't know. And as for your second, you're the only one that can answer that.
-I figured it has to be something like that.
We sat there in silence for a while. Sofia smoked as well. But in a lot more elegant manner. She blows the smoke out quietly, holds her cigarettes with a light grip, never puffs and takes her time to exhale the smoke almost like she's making sure she's not blowing it up in anyone's face. If it weren't for the smell and the click of her silver pencil lighter you wouldn't even know she's smoking.
-Mum gave us that didn't she?!
-Back in the days when Ana still thought she could lie about it, yes.
-Whatever happened to the gold one?
-Margaret has that one. Veronica wanted it obviously, but I managed to talk her out of it.
-She couldn't keep a lighter to save her life.
-My point exactly. You know, despite her being difficult, it's not that hard to reason with her if you know how to approach the matter.
-I guess. People loved her after all.
-I think they were fond of her most.
-She can drive you crazy though. Actually she does that most of the time.
-It's part of the reason why people love her.
-I guess.
And we stood there in silence for another long while.
-I haven't seen Margaret, I say.
-Well you know her, she doesn't really come out often. I wouldn't worry about it.
-Is it not the time yet?
-Only you know that. 
-Soph!
-You mind is a storm right now. You wander off, but the storm cathces up with you. Better put, the storm's everywhere. You just have to wait for it to pass.
-Didn't we learn to inforce the silence?!
-That was a really long time ago. And those were more tricks rather than methods, but I don't really need to be telling you all this.
 I hesitated a bit before answering that.
- I know.




No comments: