Translate

Wednesday 13 June 2012

8 being beautiful

-Hey beautiful.
I was lying on  the bed that wasn't mine, finishing my book. I always lack expression when I;m reading, and not only when I'm reading, and that wasn't the only reason why I'm pretty sure he only said that because he wanted to make himself a cigarette with my tobacco, my rizlaz and my filters.
-Can I make a rolly?
-Sure go ahead!
I hated the fact that he eventually figured out where I was. Not that it was hard to find out, but I went 'missing' quite often and he walked in certain that I was there. That didn't bother me, but I hate it when people walk in when I'm reading a book. It's sort of a bad habit I picked up in the good old days when I could isolate myself when I wanted to.
That made me think of 'dear old daddy' and the night he went mad because me and my brother just bought books. "Why should you spend money on something you can't take out for free?!". There was no point in trying to fight it. Some people don't understand that what they referred to as a 'library' was already high and mighty for having a single copy of a  book of poems by Rabindranath Tagore that you have to dig out yourself because the so referred to as 'librarian' has no fucking clue what you're on about. My father was one of those people. Me and my brother on the other hand, are the kind of people that knew that Kafka never wrote a book called 'On the shore', but Haruki Murakami wrote a book called 'Kafka on the shore'. My father never understood why the books in our library weren't enough. You can't take a man like my father and explain why you hate Balzac, Dostoyevsky makes you sick and Tolstoy isn't really your number one. My father was and still is an educated man, he read and liked Balzac and Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy. It's not his fault me and my brother didn't. It's also not ours but we both agreed that a statement like that says so much about your character that we refused to even talk about it. Ever since, we kept hiding the books we bought in 'extension' to our own library.
-Can you find the filters?
-No...
-Pass me my bag. ..Could you please roll one for me as well.
It was more of a statement than an ask but he knew the drill.
If there's something good that I learned from mt father that's to always know the right price. I don't mind selling myself but I mind when people try and buy me for less than what I'm worth. My father told me to hate and do anything I can to avoid those desperate moments when you have to take what you can get because he taught me that one moment is enough to make your value drop for ever. Not everything was business about my father, but the best parts were.
-You really should learn how to roll. Your rolls keep falling apart.
-Like my life.
-What?
-I know. It's probably cause I fold them instead of actually rolling them....what time is it?Is it past eleven.
I knew very well it was past eleven.
-Yeah!...you hungry?
-....Yeah....
-I have chicken and curry.Come up and get it.
I wasn't really that hungry but I was 'beautiful' and I knew the right price of two cigarettes in 10 minutes.


No comments: